Before college, I had planned on majoring in piano performance and excelling every minute of it. Then I graduated high school and realized that a degree in piano performance probably wouldn't be able to support me, let alone a family, if I ever needed to rely on my degree.
So I scrolled through the list of possible majors at BYU searching for something that could offer me a little more security in the real world. Julliard can wait...I'll become a concert pianist later.
Well in my first semester at the Y, I had Music 101. I loved the information and the subject. It was right up my alley; I loved being able to match piece with composer and time period, just by listening. It was so much fun. Now I am in my last semester, and I am taking my second and final music class of my college career.
I'm loving it. It's wonderful. The book was only $72, which is a major bonus because we were expecting much, much more. In this class, I have made comments every day except the first. I can't help but join in the discussion. I love the material, it's so interesting and applicable to what I already know.
I have been able to apply what I've learned in previous classes (mythology, religion in the home, music 101) to things we're studying in this class. Experiences from junior high and high school have helped me in this class. Knowledge from years of piano lessons and sacrament meetings allow me to relate with the professor. It's a magnificent class.
My professor is ... how do I describe him? ... fantastic? Superb? Outstanding? One-of-a-kind. He walks in everyday and just observes the myriad of freshman (with a few upper-class students just trying to finish general reqs, such as myself). He smiles as he hears silly comments made about exciting things like the dorms or french kissing. Then class begins and he teaches why things like Roman mass are important to Latter-day Saints. He tells stories of his past not to put himself above us, but to illustrate points and give examples.
He cross-stitches for fun and gardens to relax. He doesn't own a television. He can't stand brutality and violence. He is humble despite his amazing accomplishments and experiences. Some might consider him old-fashioned, but I don't think that at all. He is more of a modernized antique, at least knowledge-wise. He's not extremely old, but he has enough knowledge to be ancient. What a class! I love it.
you should have gone into music- it's your passion- but who am I to talk right:)
ReplyDeleteWhat an awesome priviledge to end a college career with such an amazing professor. Life is a blessing with hidden tender mercies that uplift and embrace all that is good in life. You will become that concert pianist some day. The time isn't now...but it is out there. Hang on to the threads that will help prepare you for it. The concert might not be in the Lincoln Center or some other huge theater. But it will be a concert in the life of Bri and any who attend will be entertained, uplifted, and feel your joy with your talent. Bless you.
ReplyDelete