Monday, September 8, 2008

Review: Mara, Daughter of the Nile


Having read Mara, Daugher of the Nile by Eloise Jarvis McGraw about 5 or 6 times, I think I'm qualified to give this book a review.


Plot: Mara, a blue-eyed slave girl in ancient Egypt, is sold by her brutal master to a mysterious stranger. This new master, who is a hig-ranking officer for the Queen of Egypt, unexpectedly offers her freedom and riches, but demands she complete a task that may cost her life. Mara is determined to grasp this chance, and agrees to the bargain. While completing her duties, she meets suave Sheftu on a river barge. Sheftu is determined to get the queen's brother, the rightful heir to the throne, back in power, and employs Mara as a spy for his cause. With Mara's now-conflicting responsibilities, her loyalties are divided. As a spy for two sides working against each other, should Mara follow her master and take the freedom and gold he offers, or free Egypt of its burdens and follow her heart into the arms of Sheftu?


Wow. What a plot, huh? That's only the beginning of the goodness. This book has captured my attention multiple times, and I honestly can't wait until the next time I get to read it. Every time I pick it up, my procrastination with other tasks increases. (That's the sign of a good book, right?) The dialogue-description ratio is about even, so the reader doesn't get bored or confused with excessive amounts of either. I recommend this book for young readers in junior high all the way up to those just wanting to be entertained by wholesome and enthralling media.


Let me know what you think of the book!

Next review: The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation, Bri. Always looking for a good read. Now that I have two NEW pelvic fractures, I am down a lot. What can one do while down? Reading is about the best I can think of. So Thaks. Next time I pass the library, I will stop.
    gram

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation, Bri. Always looking for a good read. Now that I have two NEW pelvic fractures, I am down a lot. What can one do while down? Reading is about the best I can think of. So Thaks. Next time I pass the library, I will stop.
    gram

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recommendation, Bri. Always looking for a good read. Now that I have two NEW pelvic fractures, I am down a lot. What can one do while down? Reading is about the best I can think of. So Thaks. Next time I pass the library, I will stop.
    gram

    ReplyDelete